20 Nov 5 Ways to Give Thanks for Thanksgiving
Celebrating Thanksgiving is wonderful with all the feasting and football, but it is always important to think about the real meaning and give thanks when you can. Spending the day with family and friends is a great place to start. Here are 5 more ways to give thanks this Thanksgiving:
- Donate time. While it is nice to work in a soup kitchen for a day, remember that your time would also be greatly appreciated on other days and in other venues as well. Find out who needs help and when. Give what you can when you can. Every little bit helps.
- Visit a hospital. Think of how you would feel being stuck in a hospital bed on Thanksgiving. Go visit some patients – even if you may not know them personally- to spread some cheer. Hand out a flower or two. Fluff a few pillows. Talk with people who may be missing their families during their stays in the hospital.
- Donate money to a reputable charity. Research a few charities to decide which one would be a good fit for you. No amount is too little. Not only will your donation be appreciated by the recipient, but it will make you feel good to be a part of a solution.
- Send a care package to a deployed soldier. Send some items that they might be missing from home. Razors, travel-size toothpaste, candy (leftover Halloween candy is perfect), Rice Krispie treats, books, puzzle books, and handwritten letters telling the soldier how grateful you are for his or her service are all perfect things to include.
- Make Thanksgiving dinner for a family in need. If you know of a family who may be down on their luck this season, either invite them over for dinner or deliver a full dinner to them.
Whatever you decide to do this Thanksgiving, be sure to take some time to give thanks for the life you have.