09 Dec Different Ways to Give
This is the time of year when everyone is in the giving spirit. Whether it’s an act of kindness or a donation to an organization we all feel the urge to help in some way. It doesn’t always have to be about donating money though. Cash donations are often times the most helpful, but many non-profits are happy to accept other donations like volunteer work. Not only will you be helping out the organization but you’ll be able to learn more about its goals and program management, and if you are interested in making a financial donation in the future you’ll be sure to know where your money is going.
Here are some ways to get involved with a local non-profit in your community:
- Make a Cash Donation: Donating money is an easy way to reduce your tax liability while also giving money to your favorite organization. Charities are always more than happy to accept a cash donation.
- Attend a Fundraising Event: Fundraisers can be a great day/ night out! And it’s wonderful to be able to have fun while learning about and helping to support a cause you feel passionate about.
- Donate Unused Items: Let’s face it we all have items that we haven’t used in over a year, from clothing to home goods. Take the time to clean out a room or two in your house, especially your closet. This will free up some space at home while also providing items to non-profits in need. Thrift Stores are a great place to start donating your unwanted items as they are operated by non-profits. However, it’s a good idea to look for other charitable organizations that you might feel more connected to.
- Donate Your Expertise: If you have a special skill or talent and can donate your time and energy to help smaller organizations who may need assistance with things like legal advice, accounting, or other special abilities.
- Donate a Vehicle: If you have a car, boat, or recreational vehicle that you are no longer using there are charities that would gladly accept this type of donation, and it’s a tax deduction for giving them to qualified non-profit groups. Not sure where to donate? Here are a couple of places you may want to start http://www.800charitycars.org/ and http://www.carangel.org/.
- Support a Walk or Run: You can be a participant in a walk/run and raise money. This can be a win-win because you’re getting your daily exercise in while supporting a cause of your choice. The other option is to sponsor a walker/runner.
Here is a list, from the Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut, of local organizations who are looking for donations and volunteers to support their mission, http://bit.ly/2fogdMw.
At Sava Insurance we are Guided by Heart and we believe that a solid community is the foundation of a safe environment. We are proud to volunteer for and contribute to the United Way, Terri Brodeur Breast Cancer Foundation, Safe Futures, Center for Hospice Care, educational fundraisers, and local Connecticut families and children in need. Our team is committed to helping all of our customers live better, safer, happier lives. The Sava Team is always ready and willing to provide a friendly face and helping hand so please contact us today at (860) 437-7282.