21 Oct Is Your Family Prepared for a Serious Accident or Injury at Home?
Asking yourself this question when a mishap occurs means it is already too late. When you have a family to take care of, you must make sure you have the essentials at home. Preparedness is key in any emergency situation. Therefore, creating an emergency first aid kit can help you keep your loved ones safe and prepared.
A few months ago, a Springfield home was destroyed by a fire in the early morning, displacing a family of five. The flames spread throughout the entire first floor and into the second floor very rapidly. In addition, the roof above the rear porch collapsed on top of three firemen. Luckily, they suffered no serious injuries. What if this incident happened to you and your residence? Putting together a home emergency preparedness kit can help take charge of unpredictable events. Here is how you should prepare your emergency equipment:
- Store all of the items in an easy-to-carry bag or suitcase. It should be readily accessible to everyone in the family.
- One gallon of water per person per day for at least three days should be included.
- At least a three-day supply of non-perishables and a can opener should be packed to feed your family.
- Flashlights and extra batteries can be used for light, but never use candles, or this will cause a fire hazard.
- Have the essential first-aid supplies such as bandages, soap or other cleansers, burn ointment, eye wash, thermometer, and Pepto-Bismol.
- Keep a portable radio on hand in case the power goes out.
- Have at least $100 in your kit.
- At the end of the day, tailor an emergency preparedness kit to your family’s needs.
At SAVA Insurance Group, we hope these tips help keep your family safe in times of emergency. Another method of protection we would recommend is for you to use home insurance. Our policy can be designed to meet your needs and lifestyle. Our agents are ready to help you compare your options to choose the policy that works best for you!