25 Jan Flood Friday!
Posted at 21:34h in Insurance, Insurance Coverages, Seasonal - Spring, Seasonal - Summer, Seasonal-Fall 0 Comments
It’s Flood Friday! Time to learn about an important policy you need to stay protected!
Floods are the #1 natural disaster in the United States. While some regions, such as coastal areas, are more flood-prone than others, the unpredictability of climate change exposes all property to some risk.
Torrential rainfall isn’t the only culprit. Flooding is also caused by mudflows, rapid snowmelt during spring, and ice jams during winter. Even an inch of water can cause thousands of dollars in damage, losses that are specifically excluded from your homeowners and personal umbrella policies.
It is important to know that a standard Connecticut home insurance policy will not cover flooding and some other natural disasters. Instead, you have to purchase a separate flood policy. To learn more about what’s covered with a flood policy, check out this blog.
Tips for Before and After a Flood
- In an area where flooding is a constant issue, think about elevating your home.
- Make sure basements are waterproofed and your sump pump is working.
- Consider installing a water alarm in your basement. This will let you know if you have water building up.
- Clear debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Move furniture, valuables and important documents to a safe place.
- Store irreplaceable documents (such as birth certificates, passports, etc.) in a safe, dry place.
- Make a pet plan – if you were to move out of your house while damage was being fixed from a flood, some places you’ll be staying will not accept animals.