11 Apr Go a little greener for Earth Day!
No matter what your stance on global warming or other environmental issues, it is never a bad idea to do your part in making the world a better place. There are small steps that everyone can take to help preserve our natural world. Here are a few you can try today:
- Quit smoking – Not only does the smoke make it difficult for non-smokers to breathe, but the used cigarette butts are unnecessary garbage. Plus, quitting is one of the best things you can do for your health.
- Invest in reusables – Ditch those disposables for the last time and check out reusable water bottles, lunch bags, coffee mugs, and grocery bags. If the cost throws you off, just think of how much you will actually be saving in the long run. A $9 reusable water bottle costs less than a $2 disposable bottle if you have the ability to reuse it hundreds of times.
- Plant a tree – Or a bush or flowers or anything! Adding greenery to the earth can only make it stronger. Grade school science class taught us that plants breathe in carbon dioxide and breathe out oxygen which makes them humans’ perfect companion.
- Walk to work or school – Skip the car and stretch your legs a bit whenever you can. Or if your destination is simply too far, consider carpooling or using public transportation to reduce emissions and the use of fossil fuels.
- Start composting – Instead of tossing that banana peel or potato clippings in the garbage, start your own compost pile to make natural fertilizer for your landscape. Your town may have a composting program you can join as well. Contact your local sanitation department to find out.
- Look into natural cosmetics and household products – There are so many natural options out there, why not give them a try? You may actually already have some fantastic natural products in your home and not even know all their uses. Vinegar, for example, can be used in so many different ways for both your home and your body!
Enjoy Earth Day!