22 Mar How Do I Know When My Roof Needs to Be Replaced?
Your home has many different section that help protect you and your family from the elements. Each section of your home does its part to keep the outside, well, outside. But when one section of your home has an issue, that protection can dwindle. One of the most important sections of your home is your roof. The roof keeps out rainwater, snow, and keeps the heat inside so you can live comfortably. When the roof needs replacing, it is important to have it done sooner rather than later when it may be too much later.
How do you know when your roof needs replacing? There are a few different signs:
- The roof is old. Most roofs can last up to 20-30 years depending on what they are made of. Check your warranty to see how old the roof is before calling a roofer.
- Buckling and curling shingles. Shingles are not supposed to curl or buckle until they are past their prime. If your roof is fairly new, but has buckling shingles you may have a defective product or there may be something else wrong causing them to age prematurely. Have a roofer come inspect them to see what is going on.
- Missing or broken shingles. This is a sign that the tabs that hold shingles on may be compromised.
- The chimney flashing is loose or leaky. You may need to have it sealed with a water tight fitting.
- You find loose shingle granules in the gutters or on the ground.
- You can see light when it is shining through the roof boards.
Replacing your roof can be costly. If your roof replacement is due to an unforeseen event like a storm, your homeowner’s insurance should cover you. Call us to review your current homeowner’s policy to see what type of coverage you currently have or to offer you a quote on a new policy.