01 Oct How To Prepare Your Home For A Hurricane
Preparing Your Home:
- Hurricane winds can cause trees and branches to fall, so before hurricane season trim or remove damaged trees and limbs to keep you and your property safe.
- Have 2 weeks’ worth of non-perishable supplies on hand at all times, not just before a hurricane!
- Canned vegetables and meals
- Boxed Pasta
- Bottled Water
- Secure loose rain gutters and downspouts, and clear any clogged areas to prevent water damage to your property.
- Reduce property damage by securing windows and doors, including the garage doors.
- If you can, purchase a portable generator or install a generator for use during power outages.
- Remember to keep generators and other alternate power/heat sources outside, at least 20 feet away from windows and doors and protected from moisture
- NEVER try to power the house wiring by plugging a generator into a wall outlet.
- Remember to purchase gas ahead of time if your generator is going to need it.
Most importantly, remember that a standard homeowner’s insurance policy doesn’t cover flooding! It’s important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains, and other wet weather conditions that impact us, call SAVA to make sure you are covered!
Call us at 860-437-7282 to see if your insurance currently covers you for hurricane damages!