06 Jun How to Prevent Distracted Driving
April is distracted driving month so we thought it would be the perfect time to join the conversation and share the ways to prevent it.
What is distracted driving?
Most people will immediately say texting or using a cell phone. Those people are correct, but there are many other ways that drivers are distracted on the road. Here are just a few:
- Checking your GPS or map
- Taking pictures
- Eating and drinking
- Putting on makeup
- Talking to people
- Changing the music
Why is distracted driving incredibly dangerous?
- You are 3 times more likely to get into an accident when distracted driving by manipulating a mobile device (Virginia Tech Transportation Institute).
- 3,477 people were killed and 391,000 people were injured by distracted driving in 2015 (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). That’s about 10 deaths and 1,072 injured per day!
How can you prevent distracted driving?
- Keep your phone in the back seat so you won’t be tempted to check or reply to any notifications.
- Offer to make the call or send the text for the person driving if you’re a passenger.
- Be a good role model for others when you’re driving by avoiding distractions and giving your full attention to the road.