01 May Items You Should Always Keep in Your Vehicle
No one wants or expects a car accident or a vehicle breakdown. Unfortunately, both can happen whether we are prepared or not. Being prepared for the worst is always a much better option than finding yourself stranded on the side of the road with nothing to help your situation. Here is a list of some things you should keep in your vehicle at all times:
- Spare tire and jack- even if you call your auto club to come to change your tire, you will still need a spare and jack for them to complete the job. Every time you have your tires rotated, have them rotate in the spare.
- Your vehicle’s manual- you might surprise yourself by repairing your vehicle yourself. Some things can be easily fixed by just reading the manual and completing the tasks they list. Doing it yourself can save you both time and money.
- First aid kit- Accidents do sometimes cause injuries. Having bandages, slings, and other items found in a first aid kit can help with triage until paramedics can get to the scene.
- Blanket- Even summer evenings can be cold when you are stuck without your vehicle’s power source. Having a blanket on hand can help comfort you and your passengers until help arrives.
- Water- not only for drinking but to clean items like your hands or the windshield.
- Flashlight and/or flares – If you need to leave your vehicle in the dark, having a light of some kind can help keep your vehicle safe from other vehicles hitting it. You can also use the light to flag down help or light your way to safety.
Maps- Yes, regular foldable maps can be lifesavers if your GPS is down or you can not get a signal on your phone. Always keep a map of the area in which you are traveling so you will know exactly where you are going.