21 Nov Who Knew! Turkey Day Fun Facts
Posted at 17:50h in Uncategorized 0 Comments
Turkey Day Fun Facts
- In 1953, Swanson had so much extra turkey (260 tons) that a salesman told them they should package it onto aluminum trays with other sides like sweet potatoes — and the first TV dinner was born!
- The NFL started the Thanksgiving Classic games in 1920 and since then the Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys have hosted games on Turkey Day.
- Americans eat about 46 million turkeys each Thanksgiving.
- An estimated 50 million pumpkin pies are eaten on Thanksgiving.
- Fifty percent of Americans put the stuffing inside the Turkey.
- The pardoned turkey’s from 2005 and 2009 were sent to Disney Land and Walt Disney World and served as their Grand Marshal in their Thanksgiving Day Parades.
- The first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade did not feature any balloons, it had floats and animals from the Central Park Zoo. It wasn’t until 1927 that balloons were introduced.
- Average number of hours spent cooking is 7 – average number of minutes spent eating is 16.
- Most Americans report liking the leftovers more than the actual meal.
- 100,000 + phone calls are answered by the Butterball hotline each season.
The first Thanksgiving was held in the autumn of 1621 and included 50 Pilgrims and 90 Wampanoag Indians and lasted three days.
- What was on the menu? Deer or venison, ducks, geese, oysters, lobster, eel and fish.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!