05 Jun Landscaping Insurance 101
If you work in landscaping, then you know that spring & summer is one of your busiest times of the year! Everyone’s been stuck inside all winter, and now that they can finally enjoy their outdoor spaces again, they’re looking around at just how much work there is to do. Not to mention, at the time of writing this blog, we are still in the midst of a global pandemic that’s keeping everyone a lot closer to home!
We’re sure spring and summer are keeping you busy enough, but we ask, for your sake, that you take a moment to pause and evaluate whether you’re protected. The last thing you need is to lose the hard-earned money you make this season because of a mistake or accident.
Landscaping insurance policies are great ways to protect yourself from mistakes, accidents, and incidents such as these:
- A pet or person becomes sick as a result of herbicides & pesticides you use on a client’s property.
- You use fertilizer or chemicals and it burns your client’s lawn.
- One of your employees is hurt on the job and files a claim against you for the damages.
- A non-employee (client or otherwise) gets hurt when they enter your work area and then sues you for the damages.
- An accident causes damages to your client’s property and they sue you.
- A piece of your equipment is damaged, and you cannot work because of it.
- One of your work vehicles gets into an accident or is hit by another vehicle when parked.
- An employee of yours steals from one of your clients.
- Your office, equipment workshop, or computer are damaged by a flood, wind storm, or another natural disaster
We really hate to focus on the negative because we know most days on the job are going to go perfectly well for you! However, as a landscaper, your job exposes you to unique risks that could cost you thousands of dollars, your reputation, or even your business if you aren’t prepared.
Thankfully, preparing ahead isn’t too hard, and we’re here to help. We have decades of experience working with landscapers and other contractors to tailor your insurance plan to your business’s unique needs. Here are some of the coverages we can offer to protect your business.
- General Liability
- This policy covers instances of bodily injury, property damage, and other liabilities for which your business is responsible. Please, don’t be surprised if many of your clients consider this coverage a prerequisite to working for them.
- Commercial Auto
- Standard auto policies typically have coverage limitations or restrictions for vehicles used for work.
- If you use your vehicle to transport work supplies such as mowers, fertilizer, and tools, you’ll likely need a commercial auto policy.
- A commercial policy through SAVA can cover many vehicles common to landscapers including dump trucks, pick-ups, and utility trailers.
- Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)
- A BOP policy combines General Liability and coverage for commercial buildings and personal property into one package.
- Worker’s Compensation
- A Worker’s Compensation policy protects your employees if they were to become injured or ill while they work for you.
- Business Flood Insurance
- Without a separate flood policy, your workplace and its contents aren’t covered in the event of flooding. A separate flood insurance policy is the only way to protect your business from flood damages.
- Snow Removal Policies
We know you’ve got a lot on your plate right now. However, it’s at busy times like these when mistakes are more likely to happen! Give us a call at 860-437-7282 so we can discuss your unique exposures and so we can find you great coverage at a great price.