08 Mar March is National Nutrition Month
Eating healthy can be a struggle. However with a support system and a plethora of ideas it can be fun and rewarding. March is National Nutrition Month and is sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Nutrition Month creates awareness and promotes a healthier lifestyle, helping people to make better food choices, as well as encouraging healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Be sure to click on their website http://www.eatright.org for more resources.
Here are some fun food facts to help make eating more healthy and interesting.
- Banana plants are members of the herb family.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges.
- Coffee beans are the seeds of the fruit of the coffee plant.
- One can of soda contains around 10 teaspoons of sugar.
- A hardboiled egg will spin but a soft-boiled one won’t.
- A medium-sized potato is a similar size to a computer mouse.
- Only wash grapes just before you eat them as they keep better unwashed.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics makes it easy to celebrate Nutrition Month. They suggest trying out a new healthy food each week to give variety, eating at some of the many ethnic restaurants as they often offer lots of healthy options, and varying cooking methods as this gives foods a different taste.
This month is also a great opportunity to start a regular fitness program. A great place to start is a local YMCA, Fitness Center, Town Recreation Departments, or even Adult Education Courses have a great offering of exercise classes.
Enjoy Nutrition Month every March, eat well and live healthy, and then carry on for the rest of the year!