09 Jul What To Do: Rideshare Accidents
Whether you’re the drive or the passenger, a car accident can be very scary. We can attest that even as individuals who work in insurance and talk about accidents all day, we find it unnerving, too! You probably have a good idea of what to do if you’re the driver involved in an accident. However, what do you do if you’re a passenger in an Uber driver’s vehicle during an accident?
What do I do if I’m involved in an accident during an Uber ride?
- Always call 9-1-1 first.
- If you can, take pictures of the scene including damage, any injuries, and road and traffic conditions.
- Write down names, phone numbers, and email addresses of the driver and witnesses.
- Take photos of your driver’s insurance ID card and those of other drivers involved.
- Take screenshots on your phone of the Uber ride and receipt.
- If you’re injured, seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- If you’re injured, hire a lawyer as soon as possible so they can send a preservation of evidence letter to Uber and the driver. This will ensure that you have detailed and documented information regarding the accident.
Do passengers in an Uber driver’s car have coverage if they’re in an accident?
Yes, Uber’s insurance policy will cover you as a passenger. According to Uber’s blog, “While policies can vary, as a minimum, it covers the driver’s legal liability for the death of, or bodily injury to passengers and other third parties (e.g., a pedestrian) caused by driver’s negligence.” As a passenger, you can make a direct claim against the driver’s compulsory insurance. Uber can provide you with any of the details you need to file your claim.
We hope you never have to worry about this situation and that all of your rides, in an Uber vehicle or otherwise, get you to your destination safely. However, if you have any other questions about your coverage as a passenger in an Uber ride or another auto insurance-related concern, give us a call today!