09 Dec Safe Driving This Fall
Posted at 19:36h in Commercial Lines Blog, Insurance, Insurance Coverages, Personal Lines Blog, Uncategorized 0 Comments
The month of October is when the weather becomes cooler, it gets dark earlier, the leaves start falling and deer are out. We do see an increase in claims this time of year, please read the driving safety tips below to help you drive safely.
- Don’t hit the brake on wet leaves: Wet leaves can be as slippery as ice. Take is slow and be sure to watch for leaves that may obscure lane lines and other road markers.
- Avoid sun glare: Store a good pair of sunglasses in your car for the daytime, keep your windshield clean.
- Practice Safe Rain Driving: When it’s raining, always maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you. Wet roads can be more slippery than usual and you may be at higher risk of hydroplaning.
- Be careful on bridges.: The decrease in temperature can bring morning frost which may leave icy patches on bridges, overpasses and shaded spots on the road. Drive slow and careful.
- Adjust your eyes: We lose 1 to 2 minutes of daylight daily after the autumnal equinox according to the National Weather Service. It takes them between 2 and 5 minutes for your eyes to adjust to the lighting change. Take your time.
- Watch out for deer: Along with autumn comes deer breeding season and as a result the deer are more active. They are most active during sunset and sunrise so be extra careful when you are driving during these times.
- Make sure your vehicle is healthy: Here are a few ideas to help you maintain your cars safety. Check your tire pressure. Tires lose 1 to 2 pounds of pressure for every 10-degree temperature drop, according to the Utah Safety Council. Replace your windshield wipers. A really clean window can help you see when there’s glare. Adjust your headlights. If your headlights seem too dim, ask your mechanic to make sure they’re aligned properly.
Please give the knowledgeable, engaged, and compassionate team at SAVA Insurance Group a call with any questions you may have regarding your policy, or for a free quote at (860) 437-7282. We look forward to servicing you!