26 Apr Save money on A/C this year with these tips
Posted at 14:54h in Personal Lines Blog 0 Comments
Even though some cold snaps like to throw a monkey wrench into our spring weather some days, the warmer weather is slowly creeping up. You may be thinking of ways to keep your house cool this summer that doesn’t involve using your high-priced air conditioning unit as much. You are in luck. :
- Open windows. This tip may seem obvious, but there is a strategy to opening and closing the windows. You may want to keep them open during the evening and nighttime hours, but close them during the warmest parts of the day to keep the cool air in. If your AC is on, always keep windows and doors closed.
- Close blinds on the sunny side of the house. If you keep the hot sun from shining inside, you can keep the cool inside. Only open the blinds once the sun is away from the windows.
- Plant some shady trees or shrubs. Not only will the trees shade your house, but they will also help provide more oxygen to your living space.
- Install an attic fan. Attic fans can greatly reduce the amount of warm air within your home. Pushing hot air outside through the attic can help pull cooler air throughout the house.
- Make sure your ceiling fans are turning in the right direction. Continue with the proper flow of pushing hot air up and out by making sure your ceiling fan blades are rotating the right way.
- Avoid using the oven or stove. Grilling outside or having lighter fare that does not require cooking can keep your house cooler during the warmer months.
One last trick we heard may or may not work, but we thought it was cool (never mind the pun). Fill a large tray with ice and place a table fan behind it on the floor. Turn on the fan so it is blowing cool air over the ice to make a sort-of space cooler.
Do you have any tips or tricks you’d like to share? List them in the comment below!