09 Dec Stay Safe when Driving on Icy, Busy Roads this Holiday Season
Are you busy this holiday season? That doesn’t mean you should ignore safety on the snow-laden, icy roads. Taking a ride down the street could be much more dangerous in the winter than in the summertime. Making sure you are safe at home, in the garage, and when parking at a store are some good tips to avoid accidents, injuries, and other mishaps in the cold weather.
Although it is important to drive safely all year round, during the winter you should be extra cautious. Preparing your car for snowy travel and holiday shopping can help you and your family remain safe and secure. Here are some driving tips to keep in mind:
- Do not warm your car up inside an enclosed area, such as your garage. Doing so could emit high levels of carbon monoxide, which could be fatal.
- Check your tire pressure often. The cold weather causes tires to be underinflated, which can be hazardous on wet surfaces.
- Never use cruise control on icy, snowy roads. During the winter, you should have total control of the vehicle.
- Keep the gas tank at least half-full. This can help prevent the gas line from freezing-up.
- Increase your following distance in the winter in case of icy surprises.
- If you are forced to park far from the mall exits during the holidays, try to find a well-lit area. This will keep your car safe while you are gone.
- Save your most expensive purchases for last. This way, you can head straight home afterward.
At SAVA Insurance Group, we hope these tips help you realize safety comes first in the winter. Driving is a responsibility you must take seriously. If you feel that you require more protection this season, then having auto insurance from us may help. We believe safety is a priority, and the last thing we want is for your holidays to be ruined due to a collision. Our experienced agents can help you compare product features to match your needs. We can also help you explore insurance policies for other types of vehicles. Avoid great financial risk by having our coverage today!