10 Jul Tips To Efficiently Cool Your Home This Summer
Posted at 14:00h in Education, Personal Lines Blog, Seasonal - Summer 0 Comments
After a long, hot day it is always nice to walk into a nice, cool home. Keeping your home cool without paying through the nose for air conditioning might seem like an impossible task, but it can be done.
There are a few tried and true tips to help keep your home from heating up this summer:
- Utilize the shade as much as possible. Keep your blinds closed on the sunny sides of the house. If you can plant some shade trees outside the windows to further prevent the sun’s rays from entering, it would also help.
- Turn the air conditioner to a lower setting at night when it does not have to fight the sun to cool the house. You can raise it again in the morning.
- If you are using a single unit air conditioner, make sure it will be sufficient for the area you want to keep cool. Using a unit designed for a smaller space in a large room could cause it to overwork and freeze up. Keep windows and doors shut in the area you are cooling to prevent cold air from escaping and warm air from entering.
- Invest in an attic fan and some additional fans for your home. An attic fan will turn on when your attic reaches a certain temperature to remove hot air. Fans that you strategically place throughout the house will move hot air up and out while keeping the cool air in the room. Make sure your ceiling fans are spinning counterclockwise to keep air flowing the right direction.
- One ingenious way to stay cool at home is to place a large block of ice on a tray and place it in front of a blowing fan. Try it!
Do you have any additional tips to keep your home cool? We would love for you to share them here in the comments.