12 Feb Winter Driving Tips
Posted at 14:18h in Insurance, Personal Lines Blog, Seasonal - winter, Uncategorized 0 Comments
The snow, sleet, and freezing rain are heading our way which means the roads can be scary and dangerous places to be. Winter storms and bad road conditions lead to almost $500,000 crashes every year according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety. Stay safe by using some of our winter driving tips for this formidable winter weather.
- Check that your tires have enough tread and are filled with the appropriate amount of air.
- Drive slowly and with caution to allow your tires to push water and snow through your tread, decreasing the chance of hydroplaning and losing control.
- Hit the gas stations before the storm arrives! Make sure you have at least a half a tank of gas at all times.
- Do not use cruise control on the ice or snow.
- Increase the distance between yourself and other cars you are following to 5 or 6 seconds. This will give you more time for you and your car to respond if you need to stop or make an unexpected turn.
- Get some momentum going before you reach a hill instead of trying to “put the pedal to the metal” mid-hill.
- Most importantly, stay home if you don’t absolutely need to be on the roads. There is no better way to keep you and your car safe during poor winter weather conditions than by staying off the roads whenever possible.
If you have any questions at all, please call us over at SAVA Insurance Group. Our primary mission is always to keep you and your loved ones safe & protected!